Saturday, September 1, 2012

Seitan No-Chicken Piccata

I have always loved veal and chicken piccata. So I began wondering if I could re-create the flavor in either tofu or seitan. The tofu was alright, but not a recipe I felt that I could pass along with any sort of honesty. However, the seitan version turned out well. The mind and mouth both knew it wasn't chicken picatta, but the flavors I love were there so I called it a success. Give this recipe a try and then tell me your thoughts.

SEITAN PICCATA

8 oz. of home made seitan (you can use purchased, but it isn't as tasty)
2-3 Tbs. olive oil, depending on how large your skillet is
1 small onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. basil (I used dry, but you can use fresh if you have it)
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 cup good white wine
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 Tbs. chopped parsley
1-2 Tbs. capers, depending on how much you like these pickled flower buds
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup water (club soda gives the crust a flakier texture)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 lb. diced mushrooms (I left them out as I had none on hand)

Mix the flour, water, and salt in a medium size bowl. It will be a thick-ish paste. That is what you want.

Dip the sliced seitan into the batter and fry in a hot skillet until nice and crisp on each side. Remove to a plate, cover with foil to keep it warm.

Do NOT clean the drippings out of your skillet. They are all flavor.

Into the skillet put another TBS of olive oil if needed and cook the onions, salt and pepper until the onions become somewhat soft. (If using the mushrooms, add them here)

Add the garlic, parsley, basil, thyme, and a dash more black pepper and cook for about 2 minutes.

Now add to the skillet:

1 cup vegetable broth (I used No-Chicken broth for a better taste)
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 Tbs. lemon juice

Cook on low heat until the liquid reduces by half. Stir in the capers and 1 Tbs. vegan margarine to give the sauce a glossy finish.

Serve the seitan with the sauce spooned on top and sprinkled with the diced parsley.

Serves 4







No comments:

Post a Comment