Wednesday, October 19, 2011

NUTS

Same old, same old. That has been my menu lately. It occurred to me that since nuts were healthy, there must be a vegan recipe out there that used nuts as a main ingredient that I could add to my repertoire. So today I bring you a very simple Walnut sauce.

My two go to places to check out nutrition, World's Healthiest Foods and Dr. Michael Greger's website say that walnuts are high in omega 3 fatty acids. They rave about many benefits of eating walnuts. The one that really caught my eye was the idea that a handful of walnuts everyday will reduce weight gain around the mid section.  

This very simple sauce reminds me of pesto. The prominent flavor is garlic. If you don't like garlic, other spices will work very nicely. Substitute the garlic with peppers or celery seeds. I imagine cilantro and chopped cherry tomatoes would be lovely. 

Walnut - Garlic Sauce
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 small garlic clove
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup boiling water
pepper

Put walnuts, garlic, olive oil and salt into a blender and blend until smooth. Add 1/4 cup boiling water. Check the consistency. Add water if needed.

Serve over noodles.
Nest time I will garnish with chopped walnuts and chopped parsley.

I chopped up some beet greens and fried them quickly in olive oil and a little chopped garlic to serve with the pasta. It was wonderful. A surprisingly satisfying break from rice and beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment